Rebecca Lepkoff (American, b. 1916)
East Broadway and Canal Street, 1948
- Gelatin silver print
- 8 5/8 x 7 3/8 in. (21.9 x 18.7 cm)
- The Jewish Museum, New York
- Purchase: Photography Acquisitions Committee Fund, 1998-11
Not on view
- Describe what you see in this photograph. Where and when do you think it is? What clues make you think that?
- What do you think is happening in this scene?
- This photograph was taken on New York’s Lower East Side, a popular neighborhood among eastern European Jewish immigrants in the early 20th century. Why do you think immigrants often chose to live in the same neighborhoods as other immigrants? For an immigrant, what are the pros and cons of moving into an "immigrant" neighborhood?
- By the time this photograph was taken, many Jewish immigrants (or their families) had moved away from the Lower East Side. Why might they have left?