Consuelo Kanaga (American, 1894-1978)
Untitled (Tenements, New York), c. 1937
- Gelatin silver print
- 7 11/16 x 6 1/16 in. (19.5 x 15.4 cm)
- The Jewish Museum, New York
- Purchase: The Paul Strand Trust for the benefit of Virginia Stevens Gift, 2008-69
- Digital image © 2008 The Jewish Museum, New York Photo by Ardon Bar Hama
Not on view
- Describe the photographer’s point of view. Where might the photographer have taken this photograph from?
- Ask students to face the image and then close their eyes. Have them re-open them and take note of where in the image their eyes go first and where they subsequently travel. Ask students to reflect upon the following questions: What do you think drew your eyes to different elements? What led your eyes around the image? Was the sequence based on subject matter, values (light and dark), repeated elements?
- Describe the visual rhythm created by the lines of hanging laundry.