George Segal (American, 1924-2000)
The Holocaust, 1982
- Plaster, wood, and wire
- Dimensions variable
- The Jewish Museum, New York
- Purchase: Dorot Foundation Gift, 1985-176a-l
- Art © The George and Helen Segal Foundation/Licensed by VAGA, New York, NY
Not on view
Unlike Anni Albers’s abstract Holocaust memorial, George Segal’s memorial is figurative. Discuss:
- Which of the two works do you find more powerful? Why?
- Why do you think an artist would choose an abstract approach over a figurative approach?